Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Instant Coffee and Migraine Prevention

I just thought I'd do a quick report on my migraine situation. I usually got a migraine headache at least 2-3 times a week, sometimes almost everyday. I had pinpointed many different kinds of triggers, but could never stay away from all of them consistently. And I would either wake up with one or develop one by 2:00 - 3:00. I usually took Exedrin like my dad as soon as I got the sensation that one was coming on.

Early this year, I went to an internist for a high heart rate, and as an aside right before I left, mentioned my headaches. So to make a long story short, after trying a couple of things, I ended up on Lexapro (an antidepressant) based upon my past history with depression (treated with Zoloft - stayed on for about 5 years, but finally got off) and the fact that sometimes depression and migraines are related. I don't remember being aware of whether or not I had fewer migraines while on Zoloft or not, but I went down to having maybe 1-2 a week/every two weeks with the Lexapro.

But then DH had bought some instant coffee to make these instant lattes like my dad makes. And one day I decided to throw a small teaspoon full in my instant breakfast drink. I think I did it to see if it helped with my energy level. And it did. So I started doing it everyday. But I also noticed/realized that I couldn't remember the last time I had a headache. So I think it must be preventing them for the most part. So now I do it for that reason. It also works without the instant breakfast which just a cup of skim milk, a teaspoon of instant coffee, and a sweet and low (which I drink cold like my instant breakfast). I drink that if I'm having real food for breakfast. Now the only thing that I can think of is that I am not a regular coffee drinker. I don't really like hot drinks, or really the taste of coffee unless I put a bunch of sugar or cream in it, and I'm out with the girls for breakfast. So maybe it works b/c I usually just have that one teaspoon a day.

I am curious if it would work for other people. I tried to do an internet search and found a couple of mentions of people doing instant coffee shots for migraine prevention. But that sounds terribly untasty. Is untasty a word?

No comments:

Post a Comment